Wednesday, February 6, 2008

you were on my mind...

I am generally a happy person but lately I've been very grumpy. I know that it's mostly due to my job sucking ass at the moment. And I know I will get through this spell, but I seem to spend too much time whining and feeling sorry for myself these days.

Reality check.

I was chatting with a friend from university the other day. He told me that one of our classmates was very ill with cancer. It started as breast cancer and has since spread. The prognosis is not good. She's about 35 years old, married, the mother of three children. Back in school, she was a blast to be around. Always positive, the life of the party, guaranteed to cheer you up when you're down and would always make you laugh your ass off. I can't think of anyone who didn't like her. To think of her fighting for her life, ravaged by this hideous disease makes me sad, but mostly really, really angry. It's just not fair.

And today, one of my friends was in surgery for his third kidney transplant. That's right, I said third. You'd think that someone with such a serious health issue would be bitter and negative. But Brian is one of the most positive people I know. I have never once heard him complain about his condition. He lives life to the fullest and doesn't let his illness get in the way of enjoying life. He's been on my mind all day as I anxiously await news of how today's surgery went.

So really, my life is not so bad. Sure the job is not great but I'm healthy, have a great family and awesome friends. Can't really complain, can I?

EDIT: It's now 3 days after Brian's kidney transplant and both he and his donor are doing amazingly well. Terri (the donor) will likely be discharged tomorrow. Brian is boasting the best kidney function he has had in 25 years and will, if all goes well, be discharged on Monday. As I write this, I am breathing a huge sigh of relief and tears are welling up in my eyes.

No comments: