Tuesday, November 27, 2007

it's all right here in my boxset...

I recently picked up the new Barenaked Ladies concert DVD, Talk to the Hand Live in Michigan. I honestly don't know why I buy concert DVDs. I never watch them more than once. But since BNL is one of my favourite bands, I just had to. Plus, I'm a sucker for the bonus features. So here's my review.

The concert portion of the DVD features 15 songs offering a good cross section of tunes from the early hit If I Had $1000000 to tracks from the latest album. Highlights include the acoustic versions of Be My Yoko Ono and For You and Ed & Steve ribbing the women in the front row for talking on her cell phone. I especially love the fact that they included Powder Blue, a fantastic song that unfortunately, has not made it on to any of their studio albums. Basically, these guys just rock live. They are excellent musicians and performers and this concert is just as good as every time I have seen them live. Very entertaining.

There are 3 bonus features. The first is an interview with the whole band that runs about 12 minutes. Since I've been a die hard fan since the Yellow Tape it's nothing I haven't heard before with the exception of a few tour stories (especially the very amusing "ass-head" story). But it's still great to see them interact in this setting. The next feature is the band in sound check, rehearsing Angry People, including the hilarious dance sequence. Last is a great photo montage of rehearsal and concert pictures.

The band is committed to lessening their impact on the environment and this DVD is no exception. Not only is the packaging 100% recyclable and made from 80% post consumer content, but the DVD tray, usually made from plastic, is 100% biodegradable because it's made from potatoes. How cool is that!

So if you're Christmas shopping list includes a Barenaked Ladies fan, pick up the DVD. It's a great addition to the BNL library.

No comments: