Thursday, November 15, 2007

'cause I live and breathe this Philadelphia freedom...

One of my best friends from my University days now lives in Philadelphia. Michelle moved there for work, met an awesome guy, got married and now lives there with Dave and their beautiful boys. Michelle and I lost touch for a couple of years. Life just got in the way, you know how it is. Just before last Christmas we got back in touch and have seen each other twice this year. Her mom has a cottage just an hour from ours, so we got to spend a lovely evening together along with our friends Sarah & Curtis, in the summer. We decided that a trip to Philadelphia was long overdue so Steve and I visited them for a weekend in October. We flew down on a Friday morning and came home on a Sunday night giving us a nice chunk of time to spend with them. Outside of going to the Spoon concert on the Friday night (which was excellent!) we didn't have any plans except just to hang out. We did some sight-seeing, hitting the Italian Market, Reading Terminal Market, Chinatown & South Street, but mostly we just relaxed, played with the kids, and got caught up. I find it incredible that after years of no communication, Michelle and I can just fall into the same pattern. It was as if no time had passed since we saw each other last, like we were back at school more than 10 years ago. I guess that's the power of true friendship. No matter how busy we get with our daily lives, we always know that we are in each others thoughts and that we can count on each other when the shit hits the fan. I'm thankful for friends like these and feel blessed to know that I have a few of these. People that I know I can turn to when I need the support and that I can share the best times of my life with.

Here are a few snapshots from the trip. More on flickr.


Dylan helps Steve with the giant pumpkin.



Holden shows me the love.



mmm...cheese...
Steve, Michelle, Dave hamming it up in the Italian Market.


A glimpse of South Street.


Crab at Reading Terminal Market. I think I'll call him "lunch".

No comments: