Wednesday, November 14, 2007

...but the tune is so infectious...

I love musical theatre. Always have. Especially the comedies. To me there is something magical about spending two hours in a darkened theatre being transported to a completely unrealistic world. About a month ago, Steve, Christine, Stewart and I went to see The Drowsy Chaperone at the Elgin Theatre in Toronto. This show, that had its start in Toronto's Fringe Festival, went on to Broadway and won multiple Tony Awards in 2006. I was happy to hear that it was coming back to Toronto, especially when one of my co-workers, who was playing in the pit orchestra for the show, said that he "busted a nut" laughing. That's high praise coming from him so I knew I had to see it.

I can honestly say that this is one of the best live theatre productions that I have ever experienced. From the moment the show began I had a smile on my face that didn't fade until hours after the show was over. I laughed my ass off! They were able to produce a perfect specimen of the musical theatre genre while making fun of it at the same time. Everything about it was fantastic, from the performances to the costumes, from the story to the set. If you have the opportunity to see The Drowsy Chaperone, please do! I really hope that it comes back to Toronto, because I will definitely see it again.

No comments: