Wednesday, January 17, 2007

you are so beautiful...

I am an award show junkie. I'll watch any award show out there, even if I haven't the slightest clue who the nominees are or what they did to deserve the nomination. I just love seeing how the winners react. It's all about the acceptance speech. I'm a complete sucker for the tear-jerking, lord and saviour thanking, I couldn't have done this without you _____, kind of speech. Call it a guilty pleasure.

So I totally missed the Golden Globes on Monday night because 24 was on. Really, whose bright idea was that? The start of a highly anticipated new season of one of the best shows in television history against a major award show?!? Yeah, I know I could have taped one and watched it later, but honestly, I just don't have that kind of time.

But, I digress. To satisfy my curiosity, I surfed on over to You Tube to check out some of the acceptance speeches. If you haven't seen America Ferrera's speech, please check it out. And if you haven't watched Ugly Betty, definitely check it out! Not only is it a funny, funny show but the main character is a confident, lovable, intelligent, honest young woman who does not look like what the media portrays as "beautiful." But she is beautiful because she is real! We need more of these kinds of characters in movies, television and magazines to give young girls the confidence to accept themselves for who they are instead of believing that they must try to be something that they are not.

While at You Tube, I came across a clip of America Ferrera on Ellen. Listen carefully to the very last thing America says. Ain't that the truth!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Seriously. I think it's only 3 seconds for me, though... :)