Saturday, January 13, 2007

when the lights go down

Just over a year ago, after my darling Steve gave me a 60GB video iPod for Christmas, I discovered podcasting. And through podcasting, I discovered some incredible music. Independent artists who should be on the radio, but aren't because the big record companies producing manufactured crap are still in control of the music industry. I will blog about a lot of these great artists in the future but for now, sad news.

The Cool Waters Band, has decided to call it quits after a 13 year run. I discovered them in early 2006 when Adam Curry played their song, 2 Car Garage on his podcast, the Daily Source Code. I was instantly hooked and the album did not disappoint. I listen to it all the time and have since downloaded (and am totally digging) a couple of their earlier releases. This is rock the way it was meant to be. Energetic, earthy, raw, funky, intense, feel good fun. The fact that we are force fed Britney Spears and Pussy Cat Dolls and don't get to hear artists like the Cool Waters Band on the radio is a crime.

While I wish the guys well in their future endeavours, I can't help but feel like this is yet another victory for the record industry and corporate radio. Another indie band dies, while Jessica Simpson earns millions on another boat load of crap. As music lovers, we have the power to change this. Turn off your radios. Go hear some live music in your area. Surf the net for some great indie music. Check out some great music podcasts, like Accident Hash. Yeah, there is bound to be some crap out there, but you just might find your next favourite band.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"...another boat load of crap." So true.

And to all of what you said? Hells yeah.