Wednesday, April 1, 2009

no joke

Yes I've been away for a while. But I'm back! So what took me so long?

I mentioned in a previous post that I wasn't sure if I was going to blog Alex's birth story. Well I'm not. Not in great detail anyway. But here is the condensed version and why it has taken me so long to get back into the swing of things as far as blogging and the rest of my life is concerned. And it's not really his birth story anyway, more just what I dealt with afterwords.

Alex was delivered via C-section. Everything seemed to go well, but I ended up having to have a blood transfusion 2 days after he was born because my hemoglobin was too low. Then about 10 days after we got home, I had to call an ambulance to take me to the hospital because my incision had opened up and was bleeding. A lot. Turns out the incision had become infected. Thankfully, I did not have to be admitted to hospital but I needed a nurse to come to my home every day for two months, and then 3 times a week for a third month to clean the wound and change the dressing. I also spent 2 weeks in January on IV antibiotics leaving me unable to care for my child. I could not feed him, lift him or change him. The only way I could hold him was when someone placed him in my arms for a few minutes each day. It was really brutal. My husband was amazing during the whole ordeal and my family was fantastic. Especially my mother. When Steve was at work my mom was here, caring for the baby, doing housework and looking after me. And the home care nurses were truly incredible. I don't know what I would have done if I would have had to go to a clinic every day to be treated (which was the first option suggested to me in emergency.) And then there are the friends who brought food and comfort when I needed it most. I am a very lucky person.

Alex must have known that something was going on with his mom, because he has been a truly fantastic baby from day one. He only really cries when he needs something. Otherwise, he is a happy and content baby. Even though I was in a great deal of pain and incredibly frustrated with what was going on, I was, and still am, thankful that Alex was healthy. I would rather me go through the problems then him.

So now that the nursing visits are done, and my parents are not coming over everyday to help me out, I finally feel like I have my life back. Alex, for the most part, has developed a routine. All of this has made it possible for me to do other things, like blog.

I'm very happy to be back!


Mary Lynn said...

Oh my goodness, Viv...I knew you'd had a tough start there, but I didn't know how tough. So glad you are doing okay, now, and that Alex thrived through it all.

Pel said...

Sounds like a really bad time! I'm glad things are getting better though :) Sounds like Alex is a really good kid!

Glad to have you back!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better. What a horrible experience. Did MSP pay for the home-care nurse? Just curious.


vivian said...

Thanks all. It is good to be back to my old self.

Air, OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan) covered the cost of the home-care nurse. As much as our health care system needs help, I am very thankful for what we have. I can't imagine how much 3 months of home-care must cost.

Samantha said...

I had no idea Vivian! I am glad that you are on the mend and that Alex is a good baby!
Take care and enjoy your time with Alex!

vivian said...

Thanks Samantha.