Friday, November 23, 2007

what a drag it is getting old...

I have mentioned in a previous post that I am currently overweight. I say currently because I am working to change that. I finally started a regular exercise routine in the spring and I have seen results. My body shape is changing and I'm feeling stronger physically. But the pounds aren't coming off like I would like them to. I've tried a number of diets but this week I decided to go back to the one that I have had most success with. Weight Watchers. Since Monday I have been counting my points and carefully planning my meals and I've done very well. But I've been worrying about keeping up the momentum. Will I get bored in a couple of weeks and start to cheat? Will I give up before I get to my goal weight and end up gaining it all back?

Well tonight gave me the motivation I need. It involved a trip to the Emergency Room with a relative. Don't worry, nothing life threatening. But the few hours in the hospital waiting room, watching the patients stream in an out was fascinating. I'd say that over 80% of the patients coming into Emergency were overweight if not obese. We know that heavy people have greater risks of developing a myriad of different ailments & diseases. So why do we let ourselves get to this state? I understand that for some people there are genetic issues that predispose them to obesity but for most of us, it's completely controllable. But it's much easier to overindulge in yummy food then to have the smaller portion or ask for a salad instead of fries. And it's far more enjoyable to sleep in on a Saturday morning than to get up at 7am for a 5km run. On the other hand, we know what's good for us and we know what we have to do to keep ourselves healthy. But so many people don't start taking care of themselves until it's too late.

I am 35 years old. With the exception of my weight, I am a very healthy person and I want to keep it that way for a very long time. Weight Watchers and kickboxing are helping me achieve this goal. And the pictures etched in my mind of that hospital waiting room are definitely helping.

No comments: