Saturday, November 17, 2007

let me get it back...

As you may have been able to tell from the name of this blog, I am a Led Zeppelin fan. There was a time in my life when I listened to them non-stop. In my youth, I went through phases where I would get so obsessed with a particular band that I wouldn't listen to anything else for weeks on end. It was a little obsessive, but I guess it was my way of really getting to know the music.

This past week, the complete recordings of this Led Zeppelin were released digitally via iTunes. Even though I own a couple of albums on CD, I downloaded Mothership, the new 24-track "best of", as well as some of my favourite tunes not included on the new collection. Consequently, I spent a lot of time this week listening to Led Zeppelin and I was reminded just how incredible this band was. Each song is a finely crafted work of art with its own interesting combination of melody, harmony, textures and colours performed by four phenomenally talented musicians. While they definitely had their own distinct sound, the songs don't all sound the same. They each stand on their own as timeless classics. And they sound as fresh now as they did 30 years ago. I'm very happy to be rediscovering this music.

Now if only they would turn their upcoming reunion show into a world tour. *sigh*

No comments: