Monday, November 5, 2007

everyday I write the book...

I don't read nearly as much as I would like to (or should) but I've always been a huge fan of Douglas Coupland. He is the brilliant Canadian author of Generation X among many others. His latest book, The Gum Thief, was released on September 25 and was promoted via You Tube. What, you say? He used a video sharing site to promote his book? Oh yeah! Coupland released 9 videos over a 3 week period that feature him reading clips from his book set to video. Did it work? Who knows? I, for one, did not find out about the campaign until a month after the book was released and only thanks to a news article on CBC. While the videos are a clever promotion, I wonder if they actually helped drum up any sales that the book would not have received through traditional advertising means.

Here are all of the videos squished into one, for your viewing pleasure.

No comments: