Sunday, September 2, 2007

and it was just like a vacation...

Actually, not so much.

Every Labour Day weekend, Steve and I go camping with a bunch of our good friends. We look forward to this weekend every year. Even though it marks the end of summer and the start of a new school year, we always know that we are going to have a fantastic time with our friends. Take last year for example. It rained from Friday night until Sunday morning, but we still managed to make the most of it and have a great time.

So this year we'd been watching The Weather Network religiously, checking the 14 day forecast several times a day. The forecast just kept getting better and as the weekend drew near we knew it would be perfect camping weather. Sunny and hot, but not humid and not too cold at night. Excitedly, I did the shopping and packed everything up on Thursday night, even though I was exhausted and weak from the cold I had been battling since the week before. I was determined to kick the cold before camping weekend arrived and I had fooled myself, through doses of NeoCitran and NyQuil, into believing that I was well enough to go. Then the inevitable happened. Steve had caught the cold too. On Thursday night he complained of aches and pains. I didn't think too much of it because Steve is the man who never gets sick. I'm the one who gets sick 3 times a year and drags the germs home. But Steve is the one who never picks up the germs and always feels fine. I can count the number of sick days he's taken on one hand and still have fingers left over. This time, we weren't so lucky. It was painfully evident on Friday morning that we would not be camping this year. I however remained optimistic. I went to work thinking that if he just slept a while longer he would feel better. By the time I got home he would have the truck packed and we'd be off. But it wasn't to be. He was going through exactly what I had the week earlier. Fever, chills, full body aches, sore throat, congested sinuses. He was in no shape to sleep in a tent all weekend and truthfully, neither was I.

So we've spent most of this weekend housebound. I was well enough to do a bit of housework and a bit of essential shopping. Truthfully, it wasn't until a couple of hours ago that I actually started to feel like myself. I'm still pretty bummed about missing the camping trip but I know there wasn't a lot we could do about it. I just hope the weather is as good next year...